UnionSquareKAL

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

a question of length

Several of those who have finished (amazing knitters that you are) have mentioned that the sleeves felt too long when all was said and done. Can you estimate by how much? I realize, of course, that we're all different sizes, with different arm lengths, but this seemed to be a common complaint--and I'm pretty petite, with short arms.

The proscribed length for the sleeve is 17" before starting the cap shaping. I figured I'd go to some number less than this--I've stopped at 15 and that seems a little too short. But I'm not sure if, once I add the cap shaping, it'll come out OK. Any advice? I'm kind of stagnated on the sleeve, unable to decide!

4 Comments:

  • this is a standard set-in sleeve. That means the seam at the top of the sleeve where it joins the sweater shoulder should reside at the shoulder bone. Bend your arm at a very slight angle and measure from your shoulder bone around your bent elbow, to the wrist bone. That is the length you need for a full length sleeve.
    Now measure your row gauge. compare that to the # of rows the pattern calls for in your size from the color change at the cuff to the top of the sleeve cap shaping. That will give you the length your sleeve will end up if you follow the pattern as written for the way you knit and the yarn you are using. Does it work, or is it too long?
    Now the only other thing you need to decide is, how much of that color cuff do you want over your hand? Do you want to shorten the main body of the sleeve to allow for some of that shaped cuff?

    if this is confusing email me and I'll walk you through it.
    mlweaving at earthlink dot net

    By Blogger Marji, at 9:46 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Sherry W, at 12:53 PM  

  • T-rex arms! Eunny your funny! I have huge therizinosaur arms so the info is good for us mutants as well. :)

    therizinosaur?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?U2FC127FB

    I'm a nerd! :)

    By Blogger Sherry W, at 12:55 PM  

  • oh, I knew I could measure my own arm. But, you know, being lazy and all . . . It's also nice to work off of other peoples' experience, I feel! So, thanks Eunny! I'll measure my arm tonight to see if it jibes. I'm 5'4" and my mom always makes fun of me when I put on jackets--sleeves are always too long.

    By Blogger Mintyfresh, at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home