Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Making Progress

Everyone's finished sweaters look so beautiful, I am inspired to work a bit harder on mine.

I finally restarted, but I just couldn't seem to figure out the cast on. I gave up and used a regular cable cast on. After I cast on 166 stitches, I threaded a length of contrasting yarn through the cast on row while keeping it on the needles. I knit 9 rows and then, to make the hem, I just picked up stitches from the cast on row using the contrasting color to help me see which stitch to pick up. I did this one by one - I grabbed a loop from the cast on row, popped it on my left needle, and knitted it together (k2tog) with the next stitch waiting on the needles to be knitted. Then I grabbed the next loop from
the cast on, and repeated the process 166 times. It seemed to work well
and it looks fine to me, so if you're having trouble with the cast on and
hem, you may want to give it a try. Here's a photo of the cast on edge...

Because my gauge is a bit crazy I am making a number of other modifications to row count. I'm sort of winging it as I go, but I'll try to post the info on my blog in case others are interested. I'm also thinking about a sort of funky modification to the neckline, but I'm not sure about that yet, I'll keep you posted.


Post a Comment

<< Home