UnionSquareKAL

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Still swatching.

ok, this whole blogging thing is new to me, and it took me forever to figure out how to create a new post and not just reply comments to a previous post. Oh well.

I'm still swatching. After swatching the DB baby Cashmerino and getting guage and getting all excited about it, I realized that I only have 2/3 the quantity that I need in my stash. Since there's no way possible to obtain more of that dyelot, and I know that I would be v unhappy with the finished product if I decided it wouldn't matter and mixed dyelots, I've gone shopping for an alternative yarn.
so, Friday I bought one skein of Frog Tree Alpaca Sport (my LYS is holding the other 12 skiens I would need) and swatched it yesterday. I obtained both row and stitch guage on 2's, however the knit fabric that results is heavy, stiff, boardy, ... in other words, too dense. I like the knit fabric better on the 3's, however it is nowhere near guage - it's 24/4 in stitch / 32/4 in row. I love the color - #24 Fuschia.
I guess I'm going to do the math, and use the 3's. I just am not up for many more tries with diff yarns, and my options at LYS's are v limited.
Frog Tree makes a fingering weight, but my LYS doesnt' have it, and I'm reluctant to try to order it without seeing it/ trying it.
What to do?
I can't start this anyway until I've knit the Jeager Herringbone vest off the needles - should be about another week on that.

1 Comments:

  • Can you order more Baby Cashmerio in a full color lot someplace?

    By Blogger Sherry W, at 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home