UnionSquareKAL

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Yarn

I thought I had yarn all ready for this, but turns out that the gauge is way off--it's DK weight, not fingering. So, in amidst setting up the knit-along, I've been trolling the 'net for the correct weight alpaca. Kind of tricky, actually! I had ordered some sport-weight Alpaca from Knitpicks, but that's 6 stitches to an inch and since I am usually a loose knitter, I don't think I'd be able to squeeze that extra, 7th stitch in there . . . or maybe I can. Who knows? All I really know for sure is that I'm not using the Plassard Alpaga--too hard to come by.

It doesn't help that some manufacturers seem to consider "Fingering" and "Lace" to be the same thing, and others don't.


And Sherry, I like the greens you picked! The yarn I originally bought, in fact, was green (with purple for the trim), and color-wise, I'm kind of disappointed I won't get to use it.

2 Comments:

  • It really shouldn't be that hard to get gauge with 6 sts to the inch, you not even a whole st off. Youshpuld give it a try before you give up, see what it looks like. I'm going up 2 needle sizes for mine.

    By Blogger Sherry W, at 2:30 PM  

  • I usually have to go down at least two needle sizes to get gauge as it is--and I usually end up knitting the smallest pattern size, too, because the math usually works out better that way . . . if the yarn I'm starting with is too big to begin with, it's kind of like fighting a losing battle! Although, I suppose I could try bamboo needles, if I really HAD to.

    By Blogger --Deb, at 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home