UnionSquareKAL

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hi Everyone

Hello all!

I just started on this, and I'm already obsessed.

I'm using DROPS alpaca, a fingering weight 100% alpaca yarn, in a sky blue and cream colorway. I hit gauge exactly with US3 needles - the fabric works up to be a very teeny bit sheer, which I like.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a design that could possibly be less flatterning on me - high necklines make me look like I have a double chin around my armpits, and the last thing I need is more emphasis on my upper body. I thought about making changes to the pattern, but really want to make this as written - I think the flap goes a long way towards making this very geometric, very structured garment work.

So my sister's getting a great Christmas present this year :)

A quick tip - don't bother with waste yarn for provisional castons, and use the cable of a smaller circular instead. It makes for a firmer foundation, fewer twisted stitches, and best of all - when you go to knit the caston row, the stitches are already on the needle. Huzzah!

5 Comments:

  • I'm using DROPS as well, but I'm ona 4 needle. It's such yummy yarn, isn't?

    By Blogger Sherry W, at 3:38 PM  

  • What a great tip about doing the provisional CO on the cord of a needle! I am having trouble picturing it, but I'm going to try it when I get around to making this sweater. Thanks!

    By Blogger illanna, at 4:06 PM  

  • Eunny, that is a great tip!

    By Blogger --Deb, at 6:26 PM  

  • Thanks for the cast on tip! I'll keep that one in mind for when I actually cast on for this sweater!!

    By Blogger goodkarma, at 6:26 PM  

  • I was wondering if I'd find you here! I read your blog yesterday and saw you had started this. Thanks for the cast on tip - I'll have to remember it for the sleeves.

    By Anonymous Stephanie, at 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home